PowerEdge T640 Tower Server
Powerful, versatile and scalable
Scale as your workloads evolve, with peak 2-socket server performance and huge internal storage capacity.
Tech Specs & Customization
Up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, up to 28 cores per processor
Canonical® Ubuntu® Server LTS
Citrix® Hypervisor ®
Microsoft® Windows Server® with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server
Optional LCD bezel or security bezel
Dimensions & Weight
434.5mm (17.1″) (base height)
443.5mm (17.5”) (with foot)
217.9mm (8.6″) (base width)
304.5mm (12.0”) (with foot)
42.36kg (93.4lbs.) (Maximum with all drives 32 x 2.5 inch)
49.7kg (109.5) (Maximum with all drives 18 x 3.5 inch)
Up to 2993 MT/s
Memory Module Slots
24 DDR4 DIMM slots (12 NVDIMM only)
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
Quick Sync 2 BLE/wireless module
OpenManage Power Center
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Microsoft® System Center
Redhat® Ansible® Modules
IBM Tivoli® Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
Micro Focus® Operations Manager I
1100W 48VDC, 1100W 380HVDC, 750W 240HVDC, 495W, 750W, 1100W, 1600W, 2000W, 2400W, Platinum
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy option
Up to 8 hot plug fans with full redundancy
Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional
PERC H330, H730P, H740P, HBA330
External Controller (RAID)
H840, 12Gbps SAS HBA
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB, 480 GB
Internal Dual SD Module
Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.
Up to four 300W and eight 150W GPUs
NVIDIA Tesla P100, P40, K80M, M60, M10, AMD S7150, S7150X2
5U Tower or Rack Server
ReadyRails™ sliding rails with optional cable management arm for 4-post racks (optional adapter brackets required for threaded hole racks).
8 x Gen 3 slots (4 x 8)
8 x Gen 3 slots (4 x 16)
1 x VGA
Up to 8 or 18 x 3.5″ SAS/SATA (HDD/SSD), max 216TB
Up to 16 x 2.5″ SAS/SATA (HDD/SSD), max 61TB
Up to 32 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (HDD/SDD), max 122TB
Up to 16 x 2.5” with up to 8 NVMe, SAS/SSD/NVMe (HDD/SDD), max 112TB
2 x 10GbE
1 x Dedicated iDRAC micro-USB
1 x USB 2.0
1 x USB 3.0
6 x USB 2.0/3.0
Accelerate modern workloads with a scalable platform
The PowerEdge T640 is a versatile, powerhouse server ideal for mid-sized offices, remote sites and data centers. The T640 combines powerful performance and massive internal storage capacity in a rack or tower platform. Address a wide range of workloads and future-proof your data center with flexible storage, performance and I/O options.
- Server virtualization, desktop virtualization
- Database, business analytics (BI) and intelligence
- Applications and imaging for medical, finance, education and science
- ERP, CRM, HPC
- Software-defined technologies
Adapt and scale with greater versatility
Meet evolving business needs with the scalable business architecture of the PowerEdge T640. Accelerate demanding workloads and plan for future growth with cost-effective, in-server expansion.
- Deliver fast insights with up to 8 NVMe drives and 2 x 10GbE connections.
- Scale compute resources with Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors that deliver a 27% increase in cores and 50% increase in bandwidth over the previous generation.*
- Address massive data growth with up to 18 x 3.5″ or 32 x 2.5″ drives and 8 PCIe slots.
- Provide advanced imaging and VDI with up to 4 x 300W GPU accelerators.
Enhance productivity with intelligent automation
Dell OpenManage intelligent automation enables you to spend less time on routine maintenance so you can focus on business-critical priorities.
- Help maximize uptime and reduce the IT effort to resolve issues by up to 72%* with ProSupport Plus and SupportAssist.
- Leverage existing management consoles with easy integrations for VMware® vSphere®, Microsoft® System Center and Nagios®.
- Improve productivity with agent-free Dell iDRAC9 for automated management.
- Simplify deployment with OpenManage next-generation console and server profiles to configure and prep servers rapidly and scalably.
Protect your business with integrated security
A comprehensive, cyber-resilient architecture with security embedded into every server helps to protect your data.
- Protect server configuration and firmware from malicious changes with new Configuration Lock-down.
- Use system erase of local storage to help ensure data privacy when you repurpose or retire servers.
- Automate updates that check file dependencies and proper update sequence, before deploying them independently from the OS/hypervisor.
- Take control of your firmware consoles with embedded authentication that is designed to allow only properly signed updates to run.