PowerEdge R740XD2 Rack Server
Enterprise Content Server
Deliver fast response times and help maximize uptime for streaming media and other data-intensive workloads in a high-capacity 2U design.
Want more information? Get in touch with our team!
Tech Specs & Customization
Up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors with up to 22 cores per processor
Canonical® Ubuntu® LTS
Microsoft® Windows Server® LTSC with Hyper-V
Red Hat® Enterprise Linux
Optional security bezel
Dimensions & Weight
Up to 2666MT/s
Memory Module Slots
16 DDR4 RDIMM slots
Supports registered ECC DDR4 DIMMs only
Embedded / At-the-Server
iDRAC RESTful API with Redfish
OpenManage Power Center
Dell EMC RACADM CLI
Dell EMC Repository Manager
Dell EMC System Update
Dell EMC Server Update Utility
Dell EMC Update Catalogs
iDRAC Service Module
OpenManage Server Administrator
OpenManage Storage Services
Microsoft® System Center
RedHat® Ansible® Modules
IBM Tivoli® Netcool/OMNIbus
IBM Tivoli® Network Manager IP Edition
Micro Focus® Operations Manager I
Cryptographically signed firmware
Silicon Root of Trust
System Lockdown (requires OpenManage Enterprise)
TPM 1.2/2.0, TCM 2.0 optional
PERC H730P, H330, HBA330
12 Gbps SAS HBA
Boot Optimized Storage Subsystem (BOSS):
HWRAID 2 x M.2 SSDs 240GB or 480GB
Internal Dual SD Module*
Up to 24 x 3.5” SAS/ SATA (HDD) max 384TB
Up to 16 x 3.5” SAS/SATA (HDD) plus up to 8 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (SSD) max 317.44TB*
Up to 2 x 3.5” SAS/ SATA (HDD) max 32TB
Up to 2 x 2.5” SAS/SATA (SSD) drives max 15.36TB*
750W 240VDC Platinum
1100W 380VDC Platinum
Hot plug power supplies with full redundancy option
Up to 6 hot plugs fans with N +1 redundancy
2 x 1GbE BaseT LOM
2 x 1Gb BaseT
2 x 10GbE SFP+
2 x 10GbE BaseT
2 x 25GbE SFP+
2 x 16Gb Fibre Channel
1 x Dedicated iDRAC direct micro-USB
1 x USB 3.0
1 x iDRAC dedicated LAN
1 x Serial
2 x USB 3.0
1 x VGA
1 x USB 3.0
Up 5 PCIe slots (3 x16 + 2 x4)
1 x VGA
2U Rack Server
ReadyRails™ sliding rails with optional cable management arm for 4-post racks (optional adapter brackets required for threaded hole racks).
Choose Dell ProSupport Plus for critical systems or Dell ProSupport for premium hardware and software support for your PowerEdge solution. Consulting and deployment offerings are also available. Contact your Dell representative today for more information. Availability and terms of Dell Services vary by region.
Respond effectively to data growth
The Dell EMC PowerEdge R740xd2 helps you plan for future growth with large internal storage and cost-efficient drive capacities. Deliver two-socket compute performance with flash and fast networking options to meet streaming demands. Simplify management of large data sets with automated administration and front-serviceable drives. The R740xd2 lets you keep your data safely on-premise with built-in security, even as you scale capacity.
- Video surveillance
- Content delivery network (CDN)
- Microsoft Storage Spaces (S2D) and vSAN
- Microsoft Exchange
Bring compute closer to storage
The R740xd2 addresses increasing capacity and business demands with flexible storage and performance resources in a space-saving design.
- Scale up to 26 3.5” drives (364TB) in a 2U rack server and scale out up to 520 3.5” drives (7.2PB) in a 42U rack.
- Deliver two-socket performance with up to two 2nd Generation Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors and up to 44 cores.
- Tier data with a combination of 2.5” SSDs and 3.5” HDDs in a hybrid configuration*.
- Help eliminate bottlenecks with fast networking options and up to 16 DIMMS of memory.
- Easily expand with up to 5 PCIe slots.
Streamline management across your data center
Reduce the time required to manage mid-to-large scale environments.
- Automate and unify server and internal storage management across your PowerEdge infrastructure with OpenManage Enterprise.
- Rapidly deploy configurations matching unique workload requirements on multiple bare-metal servers.
- Provide full lifecycle management including health status, firmware updates and automated issue resolution.
- Use OpenManage Integrations to manage within VMware vCenter, Microsoft System Center, and BMC Truesight.
- Easily deploy OpenManage Ansible Modules utilizing Red Hat Ansible.
Deliver uptime and data security
Fortify server operations with high availability features and a cyber-resilient architecture. Easily protect, detect and recover from cyber attacks with layers of security embedded in every server.
- Minimize disruptions with 24 front-serviceable, hot-swappable, validated drives that offer enterprise-class reliability and extensive warranty options.
- Protect your data or media from theft or unauthorized access with secure passwords, alerts and event logging.
- Help ensure that only authenticated, signed firmware is running on the server including storage drives and RAID controllers.